Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Framed Burlap Harry Potter Quote


The wonders of burlap. After seeing so many uses for the material I decided to try my hand at my own little project. My chosen quote for my burlap is from Dumbledore. Who doesn't love a good Harry Potter quote? My supplies were very cheap and purchased from Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby.  I found a frame at my local peddlers mall for $1.00, and the rest of my supplies was less than $10.00. After a couple of hours of pure concentration here is what I did.

The supplies needed for this simple project are:
  • A frame of your choosing
  • burlap
  • paint
  • fine point paint brush
  • stencils
  • mod podge
Directions:

This step can be skipped if you are satisfied with your chosen frame. 

-I first painted my frame a vintage white and distressed to give a shabby chic look. With glass and back removed I sanded the frame, then applied first coat. 

-After dry, I then dabbed some vaseline on the corners and places where wood naturally wears. After the second coat of paint I took the sand paper and lightly sanded over the areas where vaseline were applied.

-Use the back of the frame as a template to trace the amount of burlap you need for your  frame. Cut it out.

-Spray adhesive spray to the frame back and your cut piece of burlap, and apply pressure for a couple of seconds.

-Determine where you want your words and align stencils with a straight edge. I used an envelope as my line.

-Using a small paint brush paint over your stencil.

-Once dry place in frame

This was my first try at this project and I realize that I could have taken an easier route other than stencils, such as stamps, and perhaps a shorter quote. Overall I'm satisfied with the outcome and this looks perfect sitting on my wine rack in the kitchen. 







No comments:

Post a Comment