Thursday, January 10, 2013

Shabby Chic Mirror

This piece has to be the favorite I have made so far. I found the mirror at the peddlers mall, and I already had my supplies at home, so this was a very cheap project anyone can do. I wish I took before pictures but things seem to slip my mind when I am absorbed in my ideas, or I simply am a forgetful person ha! Promise to try and be better at this blogging thing. Try to picture this. A dingy, gold frame with a even dingier mirror. After cleaning, painting and distressing here are the end results. 



My supplies:
  • Sandpaper
  • Vintage White Paint - I use the craft paint from Wal-Mart
  • Vaseline
  • Clear Finish Spray
  • Thick Bristled Paint Brush
Directions
-Start by cleaning the surface with wash cloth of paper towel, and sand. This prepares the wood for the first coat of paint.

- Apply the first coat of paint and let dry.

- Dab Vaseline on the corners and other places where the wood would naturally wear and chip.

- Paint second coat and let dry.

- Take sandpaper and lightly scrape over the places where Vaseline was applied. The paint should very easily just chip away. Scrape and chip to your liking.

- Spray one coat of clear finish over the frame. This holds the paint in place and gives a natural shine. 

Ta Da! A shabby chic mirror. I love the simple white, chippy look of furniture and it's so easy to do at home relatively cheap.








No comments:

Post a Comment