Monday, January 7, 2013

Shabby Chic Obession - Candle Holders with Mirrors

Thanks to Pinterest and Etsy, I discovered decorative awesomeness! Shabby chicness has invaded my thoughts and can be darn expensive. However, upon further investigating it can be done at home. I hate when I get obsessed with projects because I can't stop. Its a love, hate relationship. I found a couple of gold candle holders at the goodwill. They were in perfect condition but I did not like the gold, and thought this would be perfect for a little project.




Here are the materials used:

Sandpaper
Vintage white paint- I used craft paint from Wal-Mart
Vaseline
Clear finish spray paint

I first sanded the surface of the candle holders, and did my best to get in between the floral designs. Following by applying my first coat of paint with a small paint brush.

After drying a couple of hours I then dabbed small amounts of Vaseline on the corners and other random places where I wanted to distress and give that shabby look.

I then applied the second coat of paint and after allowing to dry another hour I took the sandpaper and lightly sanded the places covered in Vaseline. This made chipping away the paint very easy. After I distressed the paint to my liking I finished with one coat of clear finish spray. This gave a slight shiny surface and will hold the paint in place





  Even Steve loves them!









No comments:

Post a Comment