Friday, April 12, 2013

DIY Storage Can


Who would have thought a soup can and some glass pebbles could make a cute little storage container. I first intended this project to go in my bathroom to either hold toothbrushes or my make-up brushes, but found another use for it on my desk holding my pens.

DSC_0438

The cost of this DIY project was super cheap and super easy. All my materials were bought at Wal-Mart, and can be found in the craft section. Except the soup can. You can use any type of can, big or small. It's all up to you and how big you want your little storage container to be.
Materials needed:
  • Any size can, label removed.( I used a Progresso soup can. Make sure to clean it, by soaking it in hot soapy water. Soupy cans stink, and no one wants to smell that)
  • Adhesive spray or mod podge    
  • One sheet of white printer paper. You can also use scrapbook paper if you like.
  • Vintage white paint. (This is optional. I used this to paint my piece of printer paper)
  • Hot glue gun and sticks of glue
  • Glass pebbles
-Once you have your can cleaned and ready to go cover the outside with your paper. You will probably have to cut and measure your paper to the right size so it will fit on your can. Spray the adhesive spray onto the paper and then apply  to the can. Let dry for a couple of minutes.
- Next, one by one take your pebbles and apply a small amount of hot glue and place on the can. Watch your fingers you will get burned. Anytime hot glue is in the mix my fingers suffer.
There you have it! I admit it does take some time but the end results are worth it. 

DSC_0437

No comments:

Post a Comment